Thursday, October 05, 2006

Dave Levin has a job now everyone. He is now a little less like George Costanza, in that now he is only living with his parents and becoming prematurely bald, rather than living with his parents, becoming prematurely bald and being unemployed. Congrats Dave, I don't care what everyone else says, I like you. I'm now doing quite swimmingly now in London, staying with Leigh. I think her 3 housemates are really happy to have to step over me every morning passed out on the living room floor while they are on their way to work real jobs.

Crete is a pretty cool island, but certainly not the ideal place to go as a backpacker. Luckily I was in cahoots with the owner of my hotel. The deal was that if I filled out very amazing reviews of his not-so-amazing hotel, I got a cheap room. So if you are ever going to stay in Iraklio on Crete and you see a review that describes a hotel as a "rejuvenating garden of tranquility, beauty and perfection....in so many words, heaven on earth...paradise...this is where God would stay if He was vacationing in Crete," I probably wrote it and it definitely isn't true.

I was getting off the bus from Hania the other day and knocked some lady's box over while I was getting my massive bag out of the bottom. This 600 year old, 82 pound woman proceeded to ream me out in Greek for about 5 minutes, so I'm pretty sure she was transporting a kidney in that box. However, since that was the most scared I've been on my trip, I guess that is pretty good since I've been travelling alone.

I went and checked out Knossos, which is just outside Iraklio and was the ancient kingdom of King Minos. The major drawing card of this place was that it formally housed the mythical creature known as the minotaur. Is there anything wrong with that sentence to anyone. That's like thousands of people flocking to Sesame Street in a few thousand years to visit the site where the mythical "Big Bird" was housed. Anyways, old Knossos was pretty much just that...old, and not much else. But I suppose that I'm not overly interested in that kind of stuff so I may be a little too harsh on it. Crete was good though, and I ran into a buddy I met on Ios so it was good having someone to hang out with.

London is great, but as is well-documented it is really fackin expensive. Also to prove that my backpack is the biggest thing you've ever seen, I was in the tube station and it was too big to fit thru the gates. As I kept trying to jam myself thru, this voice from above came booming down with, "Would the young gentleman with the largest bag I have ever seen please proceed to the gates on the lefthand side."

The first night in London was hilarious. We drank at Leigh's and then Oleary, Laura, Jordan and I went out. Surprisingly, London closes down really early and all the bars were done around midnight. So we went and found an after-hours bar called 151, which apparently stands for the-bar-where-in-the-closet-businessmen-come-to-hit-on-unsuspecting-oleary, which was pretty enjoyable for the rest of us and not so much for him. The clientele, other than the aforementioned well-dressed, bad-intentioned business guys, seemed to be restricted to the place where people come to dance with their call girls. Also, Aaron, I did my best to pretend I was Laura's boyfriend so that the hilarious wiener that kept dancing by himself in front of a mirror would stop coming up to her and telling her to sneak away to the bar so they could be alone, but apparently my substantial neck beard was not enough to scare him away.

Hope everyone is well, I'll try and toss some pics up.