Wednesday, May 16, 2007

I think I am a true Filipino, for I have sung karaoke. Mama Bueno threw a party to celebrate the re-election of the incumbent mayor, a pal of hers no big deal, and pretty much everyone from Lucena was there as was a karaoke machine. At first I refused to sing or do anything embarassing, but the masses really wanted the one white guy in the city to embarass himself. So, they surreptitiously fed me an entire of moonshine, and before they knew what hit them, they got "Total Eclipse of the Heart" "If you leave me now" by Chicago and an attempt to sing a Filipino song. The showstopper (seriously, I had to go to bed afterwards, Filipino wine is ridiculous) was my rendition of "Afternoon Delight". By my own slightly confused memory, I received 31 marriage proposals from available Filipinas after I finished that one. Trust me when I say that I'm not bragging when I say that.

My time in the Philippines has now come to an end, which is kind of sad because this has been one hell of a unique experience. However, I was definitely ready to move on as well. I am in Hong Kong for a few days, and then to Bangkok to get some visas on the way to Myanmar. I will remember the Philippines fondly for its large number of kind, hospitable people, its smaller number of angry, belligerent people who aren't fans of my whiteness, its love affair with any machine that spits out diesel fumes and its even greater love affair with singing. I am also happy that I've become so good at sitting quietly and awkardly amongst a large group of people speaking a foreign language. In fact, it's pretty much been the story of my last 4 months.

In Hong Kong I arranged to stay with my old high school principal, who is now the headmaster at the International Canadian school in Hong Kong. Our plans were a little non-existent for my arrival, and after 2 non-english speaking cabbies, getting soaked in the rain and many near death experiences, i eventually found my way to his flat by no small miracle. my heart definitely sank when the door was answered, somewhat ironically, by a Filipina. Luckily it was the right place and she is the nanny. Mr. McMaster is a really great guy and has a great setup here with his wife and 2 kids. It's also really fun to get drunk with your high school principal and find out what he thought about all your friends. Mikey, he says to tell you he's very impressed you didn't end up in a gay Vegas burlesque show.

A few more things about the Philippines....
The elections are now complete, and I am happy to say that I was not one of the 116 victims of those elections. Some of the stories are just incredible, people carrying ballot boxes being attacked and family members of candidates getting killed, etc... what a crazy place. This election was for governor, mayor and city council, and I got to watch a lot of the political gatherings. It was somewhat shocking to go to the final "debate"/rally and see a mayoral candidate actually break out into a full-on choreographed dance routine complete with backup dancers. What I wouldn't give to see a Western politician try this. I bet you Dick Cheney could break it down.

Anyways, fortunately Lucena City was comparably quite safe and there were no election problems here. It also helps that my surrogate father is the police chief and his son Deboy is definitely a budding gangster. Actually, speaking of that Deboy and I had a nice little day together with some of his girlfriends. Roxanne came over for breakfast and then left, we met up with Grace and walked around the city, and then Marla came and watched us play pool. I also asked him how old Grace was, and he had to ask her...don't worry they've only been dating for 2 years. He's a fine gentleman.

I've kind of come to realize that the institutions, or the attitudes, for volunteering don't really exist here. Everyone still seems a bit confused as to why I came here. As a result, it's been nearly impossible to do anything. For example, I've been into the city health office to help, but havent been the last 2 days because the incumbent mayor called a 2 day holiday to celebrate his re-election. haha imagine how pissed you would be if you had an appointment at the city health office but it was closed for a holiday?

Playing basketball is a cultural experience here. I also now go by my streetballer name "Muganda Babaeh" meaning "beautiful woman" because I yell it every time I score a basket. People are always yelling it to me as I walk down the street, which means it has stuck better than my attempt at creating my own streetballer nickname "White Chocolate" in Taiwan. It's amazing how my most genuine cultural experiences, soccer in Malawi or Ecuador and basketball in Taiwan or the Philippines, have come when playing sports with local people who speak a completely different language and come from a completely different background.

One of the more ironic things about the anti-Americanism here in the Philippines is the sheer number of people wearing shirts that say things like "AMERICA THE FREE" or "GOD BLESS AMERICA" or "AMERICA INVENTED HEAVY FUCKING METAL" haha that one is my favourite. but anyways, i guess it's because Americans donate a lot of clothes here? And no mom, I haven't seen any of ours. But nobody would accuse Filipinos of being overly rational. For example, Gloria Arroyo the president is often accused of being a corrupt dictator. Her biggest competition actually comes from her presidential predecessor Joseph Estrada. Despite the fact that Estrada was one of the most corrupt politicians anywhere ever and openly stole millions of dollars, he still enjoys widespread support. Why you ask? Because he is a former B-level movie star who played poor action heroes, which alot of people really feel like they can identify with. It's like Tom Arnold getting elected President despite minimal intelligence and no experience, stealing millions of dollars and getting impeachd, and then still being supported by millions of people because he used to be on Roseanne.

Got to run talk soon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home